The music of my soul...: Sometimes I want to be sassy.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

22 September 2007

Sometimes I want to be sassy.

I really don't understand why people don't think through the things they say sometimes.
Especially mothers to mothers! Come ON!!!

Lately, I have had people asking me all the time if Danielle is crawling yet. She is not. Which is perfectly ok for her age. In fact, right now there are no hopes of her crawling. I'm sure it will come, but as of today, she HATES being on her tummy. Maybe she'll be a scooter...and maybe she'll just go to walking. She already can stand up by holding onto something. She's got strong legs and wants to walk. She can walk a little bit if we hold her hands.
But goodness gracious- she's only 7 mo. old!

So anyways, when people ask me, usually it is the strangers that make me want to be sassy.
Typically, they engage me in conversation about her crawling, and I tell them what she's like.
I usually hear about how it's important developmentally for babies to learn to crawl (which I already know), and they stress to me how important it is that she MUST learn to crawl.
Well yesterday, I told a lady that her Daddy (Morgan) didn't crawl, but went straight to walking.

And she had the nerve to ask, "And does he have any learning disabilities?"

What the heck???

This is where I wanted to be sassy and say something like, "No he doesn't, not that it's any of your business, thank you. He's just fine, and I'm sure my daughter will be just fine as well. Stop trying to freak out a new mother and instead you could be a little more encouraging."

But instead, I politely said no and tried to get away from her as fast as possible.

I also have people ask me all the time if Danielle is "always this good/sweet". When I say yes (because I really do have the easiest baby in the world I'm sure- God probably knew that was all I could handle!!! ha), they always say, "Well-enjoy it, cause the second one is always the nightmare!"
Ok- I'm tired of hearing that too. As a good friend of mine described it once- stop pouring curses over me and instead bless- encourage!
Why not say to someone instead, "That's so great. I bet you just can't wait to have another one."
lol
Because I can't. I look forward to having another one (someday- not soon- so don't get any ideas)- and I will love him or her to pieces even if he/she's a handful!

This is ALOT of venting.
Let's just try people- myself included- let's try to speak blessings. To speak encouragement. To think about how what we're saying might affect the person we're saying it to.
Gracious!

9 comments:

Steph said...

oh. I hear you. Yup. I hate it too.....and sometimes I am sassy....

Mommy Rader said...

Yuppers...totally understand where you're coming from :) I always got the..."second one's a killer" line. That always really irked me. And actually I find my second one to be easier (and I thought Gabe was an easy babe!!)

Sarah said...

YES AND AMEN! Although my situation is different than yours, I can so relate to wanting to be sassy.

As for the second child being a nightmare, my sister's second child is the life of the party. Maridel has three little sweetie pies and is planning on at least 4 children.

I just don't understand people sometimes.

You have a beautiful little girl, and I'm sure she'll develop according to the Lord's plans - not everyone elses.

Lor & Josh said...

I clearly have little to no experience with child-rearing so I can't share in your mommy woes, but I definitely agree that we all need to train our tongues to speak to each person we see not only as if that person were Jesus, but also as if our mouths were uttering what Jesus would say to that person were He us. Because He is in us and wants to shape our speech!

I pray God sends encouragers along your path this week. but if He doesn't...I've read back through some of your posts I missed recently and see how God is using many things around you to shape your heart to be more bare before Him and more like Him. So I know that the Lord will not only use these frustrations to teach you to bite the tongue when ya wanna sass (i sure know how you feel with that at least) but He'll also use it to show you His kindness, to whisper HIS words of love to you and then use you as an instrument of blessing upon those who are in essence cursing you!

One more thing...I remember back in BBC days that you had a sign in your dorm bathroom in TP (maybe when you roomed with Dawn??) that had all of Romans 12 written out, about blessing our enemies when cursed and thus "heaping hot coals on their heads." every time I read that passage I think of you and your washroom 'reminder to self.' so again, I pray that God will use you to heaps coals in the hearts of curses that cause them to burn with the conviction that leads to salvation. you are and will continue to grow into a Spirit-filled wife and Mummy macpherson. BLESSINGS on you! woah, sorry this was so long!

CHolden said...

You tell them, cuz! Of all the nerve!

You know another thing that bugs me is when your two-year-old put two or three words together someone says, "Oh, she is so SMART!" I think to myself, "Actually, it's perfectly normal for a two-year-old to start forming sentences."

Along with your complaint, I think if babies knew what was expected of them by other people, they would have a nervous breakdown.

Charles

Lor & Josh said...

Ang, all I can say in response to your comment on my site is "thank you." Thank you so very much; your testimony has encouraged me more than I know how to convey. Sometimes it is so nice just to know others have walked the path we follow and thrived through it (in the good and bad) by the faithful hand of God. Thanks for lifting my eyes to a BIG Daddy tonight.

Owen said...

sometimes you should just say it Ang. Maybe I've been in the big mean city too long, but sarcasm can be a girls best friend. When I read the comment about Morgan I burst out laughing because it's so ridicules that something along the lines off you two meeting on the short bus in elementary school would have burst out of my mouth so fast I couldn't have stopped it.

Erskine said...

I'm with you, Ang, all the way!!

Natasha

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,
That was funny when the lady asked about Morgan. My dad and I were in Canada this past weekend and got to see Grandpa, Brandon and Gabe (that the 1st time I got to see the little guy). CUTE!!
Anyway, I told Brandon about what that lady said and he thought it was pretty funny.
Love ya girl! You have such a nice blog. Go check mine out sometime.
Ok. this is getting long...sorry!
Your cuz,
Jen